Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My Padlet is Your Padlet

In my last EDUC 584, last I was introduced to a new collaborative tool called Padlet.  By far this is one of the easiest online tools that I have used.  Padlet has many user-friendly features and you can get started using it immediately.  You just need to create an account and you’re on your way.

First, I love the auto save feature, however, this takes some getting used to because I am programmed to always save my work before I exit out.  Second, you can easily attach a link to YouTube or any other website.  You can upload pictures and word documents right onto the wall.  Third, you can create a private wall for only your students to post on and can open up the permissions so that others can change what you have written.  Lastly, I love the layout and wallpapers they provide.  You can allow students to post in a free form or stream layout.   

I love Padlet so much I decided to try it on my return to school.  I asked my students what were there plans for the summer.  I wrote the URL I created for their class on the board and they quickly figured out how to post and move their post around the wall.  Here is a screenshot of what they had to say about their summer plans.

Core 1/5 Padlet

For more ideas on ways to use Padlet in your classroom, look at Three Good Ways to Use Padlet in Your School.  The author suggests several ways to have students collaborate using Padlet that I plan to try before the end of the school year.

My only concern with Padlet is that if my students were to create their own accounts they could potentially use Padlet to send each other messages without my knowledge.  Nonetheless, I still think this is an effective collaborative tool.  I hope you decide to try it in your classroom. 

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to use Padet with your students. Since I see students from all different classes and grades this might be a great activity to try. My students would be able to learn about each other and connect even though they do not directly work with each other. I think it would also be a creative way to get to know students, and have them get to know each other, at the beginning of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Padlet was an easy collaborative technology tool to use. I love how you came up with a fun creative way to integrate it into your classroom at the end of the school year. What was your students' response to the activity?

    ReplyDelete