Monday, June 16, 2014

Mind Olympics

Tomorrow my students will be participating in what our team calls “Mind Olympics.”  The “Mind Olympics” is a friendly competition against the homerooms on our sixth grade team where they play mind games.  Each homeroom teacher creates a challenging mind activity for the students and they earn points for first through fifth place.  We tally the points up at the end of the day then announce the winner.  The mind challenges are:

24 Game – This is a math card game in which the object is to find a way to manipulate four numbers so that the result is 24.  Addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division, and sometimes other procedures, may be used to make four numbers from one to nine equal 24.

Word Plexers – These are word-based puzzles that describe a word or phrase without actually spelling it out.  For example, KCART would be backtrack since it is the word track spelled backwards.
http://www.worksheetworks.com/images/prev/Word_Plexer_lg.gif
Paper Tower Challenge – The goal is for students to create the tallest free standing tower with only one piece of paper and 20 centimeters of tape. 
http://prod.zurb.s3.amazonaws.com/friday15/uploads/activity/artwork/25/papertower.jpg 


Sudoku  Is a puzzle in which players insert the numbers one to nine into a grid be made up of of nine squares subdivided into a further nine smaller squares in such a way that every number appears once in each horizontal line, vertical line, and square.

Sudoku example
I am running the Sudoku challenge.  I give them the easiest puzzle I can find and never have a homeroom complete it within the 50 minutes.  Sudoku is challenging but not many students even know what Sudoku is before I explain it.  In the years past, I have created a PowerPoint that explains the rules.  However, that does not seem to be enough to help them understand it. I usually have one or two students that have played it before and they help explain it to others.  I had not thought of this before but this year I will show a YouTube video explaining the directions.  If I had more time, I would have created my own VoiceThread explaining each step.


Students have a blast with these challenging mind games.  Hopefully my homeroom takes first place this year!



2 comments:

  1. This sounds like so much fun! One of my friends who is a middle school teacher was telling me about how difficult it is to find things to keep the middle schooler's excited about learning during the last week of the year. I shared this idea with her hoping that she could benefit from this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Liz! My fifth graders were having a hard time staying engaged the last couple of days, so I can only imagine your 6th graders. I love how you found educational games and activities for them to play, and that you showed them a video to explain your expectations for Mind Olympics! It will be even more motivating for them when you will be the one giving the explanation using VoiceThread. Way to go, Love!

    ReplyDelete